Thursday, June 28, 2012

To my fellow Pilgrims, Members of Mu Sigma Council, Parents, & Friends,


There is a wonderful phrase that is used in Buddhism that means a
"beginners mind."  I love the term because it means that such a person
has an attitude of openness and an eagerness to learn.  The person is
full of curiosity, wonder, and amazement.

What made our journey so great was that each of you had this
"beginners mind."  I could see it in your eyes, hear it in your voices,
and observe it in your interactions with each other, the Palestinian
people, and the elders {who are they?}.

I especially saw this attitude of "openness" when we talked about
Baptism at the Jordan River.  You were all so excited to participate
in the Re-Baptismal Experience at one of the most important sites of
Christianity - the place where Jesus Christ was baptized by John
the Baptist.

I was honored to be able to bless each of you with the water from the
Jordan River in the name of the Holy Trinity.  This was a very "special"
moment for me - not just because there is so much history related to this
area and experience, but because it was clear that this event meant
a lot to so many of you, including myself.  I'm sure that it touched
some inner feelings. This was a WOW experience - We were actually
at the same river where Jesus was baptized.  I thank the Dean for
re-baptizing me and I thank you for asking me to re-baptize you
in the Jordan River.


I have a REQUEST for each of you.  We need to hear from you.  HOW
ARE YOU DIFFERENT OR NOT DIFFERENT TODAY, THEN YOU
WERE BEFORE WE LEFT FOR PALESTINE?

There is so much we can learn from each other.  I would also like
the new members of our Council to learn from these experiences.

As you know, "The owl of Minerva spreads its wings ONLY at dusk."
We gain wisdom from reflecting upon our experiences.  PLEASE -
take some time to reflect upon your particular experiences and share
them with us.  If you think it or feel it, say it!  Why?  Because it is
important!  Why? Because you are important.  LETS PASS IT
FORWARD!

Something you experienced on our "once in a lifetime" trip to the
HOLY LAND - may have sparked and idea or feeling that you can
apply to your life now or in the future as a teacher?  You traveled over
11,000 miles to another part of the world, met the Palestinian people,
learned about their culture, and, the problems they face. How do you
relate to these experiences?  Most of us would love to hear about
your feelings about meeting your Pen Pals.  How were they?  Have
the relationships strengthened and will they continue beyond this journey?
Should we continue this experience with the students at B.U. or
wherever we go next year?

I CELEBRATE you for breaking out of your familiar routine and
going half way around the world.  I have always found that ROUTINE
is the enemy of individual growth and progress.  Seeking out new
experiences has always unleashed my creative juices and I am
sure it has done the same for you. Yes?

Lets make this trip a valuable experience for ourselves and for
others - especially the members of our Chapter.  SHARE YOUR
EXPERIENCES - let us learn from each other. YOU need to bring
your experiences, ideas, opinions, and feelings into the light of day
- your story needs to be told.  The longer we put it off, the less likely
we will hear about it.  This is the best time to do it!

You can MAKE THE DIFFERENCE for all of is!

THANKS!

Brother Ray

No comments:

Post a Comment