Friday, June 15, 2012

Fellow Pilgrims to the Holy Land, New Members of Mu Sigma Council, Parents, & Friends,


We came back to a good week.  The New York Yankees swept the New York Mets in three straight games. On the same weekend the Boston Red Sox were swept by the Washington Nationals.  Sorry Casey!  There is always next year.  One of my all-time favorite Broadway plays {Once} won 8 out of 11 Tony Awards - including the Best Musical of 2012.  And to top it off, I went on a wonderful boat ride {Klondike out of New Rochelle} with my colleagues from the School of Education & Health.  Dean Merriman and Dr.  Karen Nicholson were telling everyone about our journey to Palestine.  We not only had a great get together and meal, but we witnessed two beautiful rainbows on the way down to the Statue of Liberty.  Symbols? As I reflected on the week, the one thing I thanked God for was the freedom I can experience in our country. I'm sure you can all relate after returning from the Middle East.

One week ago yesterday, we returned from Palestine.  Our journey was not only an exciting adventure, but a life-changing experience!  YOU ARE NO LONGER THE PERSON YOU WERE BEFORE THE TRIP!  You have changed in so many ways. Like I said in my previous message:  You are no longer hopeless pebbles that are pushed and pulled around by ripples in a stream.  You learned a lot about life, the world, and yourself on this trip.  You have a much better idea of' "who" you are and you now know that you can make a difference in our world.

We met some incredible people on our adventure - From Ramsey and Dimitri to Johnny and the staff at St. Vincent's Hospitality House (Peter, Ben, Nazem, etc.), to the faculty members of B.U. (Dean of School, Sami, Rima, Hiam, etc.), to the Brothers (Peter, Jack, Henry, Peter {V-C}, Robert, Cyril, etc.), to the people at SOS, SIRA {Laurette), and the CRECHE, to the professor of Palestinian studies (Mazin -who is now sending us daily emails), to Tamara and Moi'ed at the Dheisha refugee camp, to the people at the Aida refugee camp, to the elders at the Village, to the Olive Oil person (Nadi) who took us into the desert for our lunch, to Cima {lunch at the cafe} and her brother (Jasper), her Mom and her Dad (Jerusalem), to your Pen Pals, and to the Bedouin family (lunch in the desert).

One of the major highlights of the trip for me was our Lunch in the Desert with the BEDOUIN family, a predominantly desert-dwelling Arabian group.  I would like to share some thoughts I have about that experience. I was a bit nervous and uncomfortable - especially when I had to remove my shoes and sit on the ground for the meal.  And I always had the question in my mind - where did this food come from?  Certainly not the local food store.  I had some sheep butter and actually liked it.

BUT, what struck me so clearly was how each of you seized this wonderful moment and opened yourselves up in such a loving way to this entire family.  The Chinese philosopher Confucius once said, "... wherever you go, go with all your heart."  Each of you went into that experience "with all your heart" - and got involved with this family.  It was so obvious that communication was taking place, even though you spoke two different languages {except for Katie}. I am so proud of all of you because the "life-blood" of your relationships with students will be communication.  You were not able to listen with your ears or talk with your mouth, but you certainly listened and communicated with your eyes and heart.  This is such an important skill for a teacher.  No matter where we went or what we did on our journey, you went into it "with all your heart."

On my last visit to Palestine, I asked some of the young Palestinians "What do you think about Americans?"  The simple answer was "All we ask of you is to come and visit with us - listen to our stories - and then, you can judge us."  I always tell you {my students} that once you hear a person's story you cannot NOT like them.  It is so true!  I hope you agree with me after this experience.  We have listened to the stories of the Palestinian people we met - and I believe we can all agree that they are incredible, good, and welcoming people. The author of "Out of Africa" once said, "All sorrows can be borne if we put them in a story or tell a story about them."  What apowerful statement!  We listened to their stories.  I know that hearing their stories has changed my life - certainly opened my eyes and my brain.  I learned a lot about them and about myself. I hoped it helped them feel somewhat better that we do care about their plight.

My message to all students at Manhattan College:  GET A PASSPORT and SEE THE WORLD! We need a new generation of LEADERS and INNOVATORS in an ever more globalized world. The program in our Honor Society, "STUDENTS ACROSS BORDERS", which is taking students to live and learn in different cultures and places around the world is no longer a luxury - it is a NECESSITY.  Students need to have an understanding of global issues, be able to develop a broad and sophisticated worldview, and know how to effectively engage themselves with people in this world who are very different from themselves.

I want to THANK each of you for having the courage to make your own personal commitment to come to Palestine with us.  This was not an easy decision considering what was happening in that part of the world.  I had many sleepless nights since we made the decision in February.  I was questioned and challenged many times about taking this particular trip to Palestine.  I read the papers every day and many well intentioned adults sent me articles, etc.  Sadly, many of thestudents who stated they wanted to go dropped out.  We carefully monitored the situation every day - because we would never put students in any danger.  I am glad that we remained strongand did not cave in with the pressure. I thank you for your courage and for believing in what we wanted to do.  I deeply appreciate the incredible support and encouragement of Dean WilliamMerriman, Dr. Karen Nicholson, and your parents.

I hope that each of you have the opportunity to reflect upon your "once-in-a-lifetime" experience and share it with our family.  As the great educator John Dewey once said, "You don't learn from an experience, but rather, you learn from your reflection upon that experience."  You now have time to reflect.  I can't wait to read your reflections.

You have become very "special people" to me!  Thanks for letting me get to know you a little
bit better.We are given a handful of people to be part of OUR lives who shape us during the course of our short lifetimes.  I am thankful that all of you landed in my handful.  Life is too short to risk letting anyone slip through our fingers like grains of sand.  Our handful of people were given to us for a reason.  Thank you for being part of my handful.  I will be there if you need me.


-Brother Ray






No comments:

Post a Comment